Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Question for Me...


Recently, I received a letter from a new friend who, like me, is of the "bent hippie persuasion". I was kind of surprised by her letter because it was an issue I hadn't thought about for a long long time. I guess over the years I've become inured to so many things... the narrow attitudes of the masses being one of them. So, I took her question to heart, thinking about it for several days before answering. Here's our "conversation":
Her: I've got a question for you, my friend. When exactly did it happen that "hippie" became a dirty word, synonymous with "unwashed loser" with today's youth? I mean I remember back in the day the "older generation" thinking that of us, but when the hell and HOW did it happen that the younger people became the ones looking down their noses at us? And how the heck did the younger kids make this transformation into conservatives? If you had told me back in the 70's that this would happen, I'd have told you there was no way, not ever.
It's weird, isn't it? I used to think the hippie "brand" was more about our beliefs and ideals, and I thought the message would last a while. Now it just seems to mean you're a "patchouli stinking, tree hugging liberal" LOL, which I guess in my case isn't that far off, since I do still love patchouli and have been recycling since long before it became a curbside City service. But when did it become such a derogatory term? I thought that mindset would end with our parents' generation, didn't you?
*sigh* Oh well.
To which I responded:
I don't really know how to answer your question...
I remember when I was young, that was how people reacted to all of us. We were hippies... freaks... cut from the herd. I never cared, because among those hippies and freaks and unwanted, I found peace and acceptance... welcome. I found a mindset that resembled my own. I was proud then to be counted among them as I am proud now of who and what I am.
Some years ago, I discovered a need to distance myself from society at large. Too many cruel people seem to be attracted to those who are more "sensitive". Not long after, I discovered my "inner bitch"! LOL I developed a harsh facade to the world at large and kept the true "me" for the circle of "strange and unusual" friends that I have collected around me. At times, there are many many people within that circle. At other times, there are so few that the place echoes. But it's okay... The love and support remains.
Lately, I've realized that I am the type of person that needs to be among other people, so I've gradually "broadened my scope". Remember those hippie days of people watching? I've refined it to an art form and, combined with my totally bent sense of humor, I find that I can go out... and LAUGH! Yes, I laugh at all of those who would denigrate me for who and what I am. How can I do this? Because (for the most part) I am at peace with that part of me... I've embraced it until it fills me. Within that place inside is love and acceptance, my faith with our Creator.
Do you remember the prose that was so popular back then, "Desiderata"? Read it over and over until it's a part of you. More important words have never been spoken.
BTW, Sweet Patchouli oil is the only fragrance that I still wear... I was one of the originators of our high school ecology club... And I threaten severe torture to anyone within my sight who doesn't "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" or REPAIR! *grin* Yes, I will forever be that patchouli-wearing, tree-hugging, multi-pierced, lightly tattooed, freaky lady! But... You want to hear something amazing? My adult kids are proud of the me I am! Amazing. Isn't it?
I guess that my point is... I don't really care what most people think of me. The opinion that matters is that of those I choose to carry in my life: those I love, those I admire, those from whom I wish to learn. Of the others? There will always be malcontents who seek to belittle the unique that walk this world. I feel rather sorry for them because their world-view is so narrow. Can you imagine all that they miss? And when they become arrogant? I laugh... and laugh and laugh and laugh.
PEACE!

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

LOL I got to relive Creepy Crawlers with my kids AND my grandson! One of the reasons I miss him so much now that he lives so far away...

That's a shame about your kids' attitudes. I must admit that two of my three went through a similar phase... just refer back to the "inner bitch" comment and you'll understand why they grew out of it! *evil grin*

Only a few years ago, my youngest had the "money is everything" train of thought. Love and life as well as having some miserable wealthy friends have all taught him the error in his thinking. I hate that his friends are suffering, but thankful that they showed my son a valuable lesson.

Having said all of that, there are moments when they DO get frustrated with my attitudes. But most of the time, they introduce me to their friends as "my mom, the hippy". *grin*

Lisa D. said...

I just found this today, so sorry for the "belated" comment. I am part of that "fast-money" generation that came of age in the 80's. I am conservative, but I still recycle and believe in being a good steward of the earth.

I have my personal beliefs that are very dear to me, I am a devout Roman Catholic, and am very proud of that! But one of the greatest things I find in my faith is the ability to love and appreciate people who are very different from me. Regardless of whether or not I accept their beliefs, and regardless of whether or not I think there is a better way for them, I am content in the knowledge there is good in everyone. If, for some reason, I can't seem to find it I just avoid them!

I find that the denigration of others speaks volumes about THEM, and really has very little to do with me most of the time! I don't need to save the world, but if someone needs help and looks my way, I am happy to give encouragement and whatever I can. Growing up in a working class home, I know what it means to need something but not get it! And I also know that possessions do not make the best measurements of who or what a person is! I have a hippy friend who is about my age, and she is definitely not mainstream, but then again, although I am a fairly conservative person, neither am I! I guess the truth is this: anyone really striving to live an authentic life is outside the mainstream!